The North West Film Commission (NWFC) develops, promotes and coordinates the film and television production industry in North West’s wealthiest region. A partner of the North West Province, we are tasked with positioning the province as a world-class destination for film-making as well as attracting local and international investments in the film and television industry.
Our core business is to facilitate and enhance the contribution of the industry to the economic growth of the province. The NWFC markets North West, with its world-class industry infrastructure, recognised expertise and wide range of locations, as a destination of choice. We also act as a centralised industry intelligence hub and ensure that people across North West can experience the magic of cinema.
We work with industry, government agencies and other key stakeholders, advising on the development and growth of a sustainable audiovisual industry. We support the transformation of this sector into a world-class industry and our vision is to cultivate an environment that allows it to play a meaningful role in the socioeconomic development of North West.
The North West Film Commission will seek membership with the South African Film Commission and the Association of Film Commissioners International.
North West is an innovative world-class hub for the film and television industry.
To support, cultivate, facilitate and enhance an environment that allows the film and television industry to play a meaningful role in the socio-economic development of North West Province.
Our Strategic Objectives
- To promote North West as film location and production hub of choice
- To coordinate data collection, analysis and dissemination
- To facilitate, enhance and support production capacity, audience and content development
- Support greater access to and participation in the audiovisual industry by previously disadvantaged individuals and communities
- To promote the social and economic value of film to all North West Province’s citizens
- To inform, shape and influence the national and provincial agenda on the audiovisual industry
- To provide, and encourage the provision of, opportunities for persons, especially from historically disadvantaged communities, to enter and take part in the North West film and video industry;
- To encourage the development, production and distribution of North West film and video products;
- To contribute to an enabling environment for job creation and cultural enrichment;
- To address historical imbalances in the infrastructure and in the distribution of skills and resources in the North West film and video industry;
- To position the district film offices as leading agents for the film development industry.
- To improve efficiency and effectiveness in the management of NWFC resources and processes
- Film development and production funding and production logistics support
NWFC’s Core Functions
The North West Film Commission aims to be a leader in the film and television industry through harnessing North West Province’s outstanding industry infrastructure, recognised technical and creative expertise and unique and wide-ranging locations, by:
- Marketing North West as a location of choice locally, nationally and globally
- Facilitate investment in the North West film and video industry;
- Acting as a centralised industry intelligence hub and resource
- Working with, and providing advice to industry, government agencies and other key stakeholders about the support, development and growth of a sustainable audiovisual industry
- Promoting and celebrating an active screen culture across the province, and
- Supporting the transformation of the sector into a world-class industry reflective of North West in its entirety.
- Marketing the North West as a base for production.
- Company development support incentives for local production companies.
- Skills training for the industry personnel.
- Information services for producers and others.
- Audio–Visual education policy development.
- Developing access to the audiovisual heritage of the North west
- Specialised film exhibition and audience development
- Development of the province’s database for the film and video industry
Our values complement the Batho Pele principles which all South Africans are expected to uphold.
- People development and empowerment
- Efficiency, accountability and transparency
- Passion and dedication
- Personal development
- Lateral thinking
- Discipline and professionalism
- Accountability and responsibility
- Fairness and equity
- Social responsibility and cohesion
NWFC Brand Position
The NWFC will build a strong destination brand for the North West film industry and has committed itself to marketing North West as an internationally celebrated global region through film. Representing the hub of the North West film industry, the Commission’s brand seeks to reflect the vibrancy, diversity and colourfulness of the greater North West Province.
To promote awareness of locally made and supported films the NWFC utilises the slogan “Made in North West Province “.
North West Province Districts
|Dr. Kenneth Kaunda||www.kaundadistrict.gov.za|
|Ngaka Modiri Molema||www.nmmdm.gov.za|
|Dr. Ruth Segomotsi Mompati||www.drrsmompatidm.gov.za|